Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tech Plan Ideas

6.19.13

THOUSANDS of photos.  That is what I end each year with.  This past summer, before my computer got re-imaged, we determined there was not enough space on my hard drive to hold all the images.  In an act of desperation and up against time, I put the folder of my images on the server, with a promise to remove them "soon!"  As I have not truly missed those photos this year, only occasionally wishing I had them at my fingertips, I think I can let them go.  However, I need a better system moving forward and determined yesterday that flickr might be an answer.  I need a place where I can not only store and view photos, but where students can do the same and also get copies of their images for their on-line portfolios.  I would like to be able to create folders and albums to separate my classes and the projects within each class.  Prior to this year, when I did not organize my photos outside iphoto for public view, I used iweb, which created a tidy way to show student work.

In my first uploading attempt yesterday I realized moving photos to flickr will take time (8+ minutes for first folder of 60 photos....) and will be best done when I am doing something else, not on the computer, at the same time.  I hope to be able to use another computer today to do more exploring of flickr's ability to catalog my photos.  I would also like to do a little looking around at what other art teachers are doing towards the same effort.

Additionally this morning/today, I would like to find out if art teacher peers around the state are also using things like feedly, diigo, and twitter (I am sure they are) as I believe I will find all three much more helpful if I know I might be able to combine resources with other passionate and like-minded teachers.  If I can figure this out today I can focus some searches that might help with class work next Fall.

If I finish everything on my list I would like to look at a way to gauge how much time I spent on each project so I can look at where I might be spending too much time and where I should shuffle projects.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, You brought up an interesting point in your last paragraph. You said you would go back and see how much time you spent on each project and see where you are spending too much time. I feel like that is always the challenge with trying to do something differently. Is it truly more efficient and does it let us do our job better? Or is it a time sink hole. Technology which makes our lives better and more productive is great! Technology for the sake of technology is not. - emily

    ReplyDelete